Monday, June 6, 2011

Chivo

These days I´ve been enjoying the refreshingly cold autumn breeze, buying way too much chocolate (they have nutella here!) and eating at fancy restaurants on P day. Elder Hunter has a giant sweet tooth (maybe even more than me, if that´s possible) so we´re not very good influences on each other when it comes to that. We´ve been consuming more chocolate than a fat kid on Easter. We´ve also tried our taste in the fancier restaurants of central Mendoza. Today we ate goat (chivo) that was like their version of a BBQ (called asado) and it was way good. They had some chill french music playing and super abstract art on the wall that I was trying to interpret and I just felt way fancy haha.

This week we´ve been a little sick so it hasn´t been very fun, but we´re working through it. I need to do a better job of keeping hand sanitizer with me and trying not to touch my face because we shake hands with so many people we´re almost bound to get sick again. We´ve been teaching the sister and brother of a girl who got baptized before I came and they both said they want to get baptized so they´re looking pretty promising. They have a hard time waking up and getting to church though so we´re going to work a little more with the members to make sure they feel comfortable when they go. This coming weekend is Stake Conference so it´ll be a little different trying to get people to church but hopefully we can still do it. We´ve also been trying to pass by inactive members a lot. It´s incredible, apparently (from what I´m told at least) we have about 500 members on our records, and about 40 are active. We even have lunch with two inactive members, although one of them went this week so hopefully they´ll stay active now.

I had my first peanut butter and jelly sandwich in 6 1/5 months this week. It felt really weird just making one after that long, let alone eating it. But it was a happy reunion. Many taste buds rejoiced.

Hey, can you look up any information on Huricán for me? I´ve heard so many different things. Can you just tell me like what league they´re in? Also, did that video work that I sent you last week? This week we had a little more of them celebrating. It´s just so crazy walking down the main road in our area and seeing people waving flags out of cars or on motorcylces and honking at chanting at everyone. We even saw a bus drive by and I swear there was a flag or a hand or a head or leg or something hanging out of every window in the public bus. Haha, it was like every Huricán fan was on that bus, it was way funny to watch. Crazy people and their futból...Except I love it.

This week we ate lunch on Thursday in another area because it was one of the Elder´s birthdays and they were cooking asado and we got invited. Anyways, the hermana asked us to acompany her to school to drop off her little girl in Kindergarten and Elder Hunter and I reluctantly agreed. We got to the gate of this school and he was like, "there´s no way we´re going in there" and the hermana was just oblivious and just sees us as friends and before we knew it we were inside the gate being stared at by probably everyone there. The kids were staring just because we were different and the parents were staring because they wanted to know what these missionaries were doing in a school yard. I felt so awkward. I was just trying to laugh it off at the same time but it was still terrible. Just imagine these two white, light-eyed, tall (handsome) americans dressed in ties and suit pants surrounded by all these little kids asking questions about where we were from and how long we´ve been here and how to say "I like you" in English and whatever else. I was 1 or 2 feet taller than everyone there since it was just a grade school so there was no where to hide. Haha. I kept thinking about those "Wanna get away?" commercials. The hermana even wanted us to follow her in the school and we didn´t want to offend her but didn´t really know what else to do so we followed her in and I felt like i was in one of those movies where the main character is just getting stared at by everyone else. I always thought that was pretty unrealistic but it definitely happened to me. After a teacher somewhat rudely asked "Chicos?" hinting like "What do you think you´re doing here?" I couldn´t take anymore and just told the hermana we´d be outside. I hope you all can imagine that scene. It was terrifying. But funny at the same time?

Welp, I hope that´s all for this week. Thanks for all your updates as usual.

With all the love of a house cat,

Elder Lounsbury

No comments:

Post a Comment