Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Feriados

Aight, I just want to take a bit of time and explain holidays here. I don´t really understand them. They have their normal holidays like we have Indepence day etc, but they have some really random ones too. For instance, Wednesday was an offical national holidy entitled "Friend day" haha. I felt like I lost a bit of manliness everytime I told someone "happy friend day!" but I guess it´s good to celebrate those friends we´ve got. Also, yesterday was a holiday celebrating when one of the catholic saints apparently made the earth tremble. (Did he just fall down?) In the US when we have holidays people celebrate by going out to lunch or to a park or just going out with their friends or family, but here all of the businesses are closed and I think everyone just sleeps because there´s hardly anyone out. So, one again I´m doing internet on a Tuesday, because there were no places open yesterday.

Anyways, this week has been pretty good. Elder Guillen and I and getting along well and working well together. He knows English pretty well and has told me he wants to learn so one of the days this week we spoke in English and I made him tell me stories and stuff to practice past tense etc. Haha it was funny because he got a taste of how it´s like trying to talk in a language that isn´t your own and I got a taste of trying to understand someone who doesn´t always conjugate the verbs correctly ect. It also makes you look at your own language differently.

We recived a lot of references from the bishop this week of old investigadors or part member families and so we´re excited to see if any baptisms come from those. A couple of them sounded really good so we have our hopes high. I really want to baptize because part of me feels like I haven´t done very much yet and I´m already over 1/3 done with my mission. But I try to keep in mind that baptisms aren´t correlated with how hard you work, because in the end the people can choose to accept it or not. Still, it would be nice to have more.

On a different note, I cooked beef fajitas this week with that seasoning you sent me and it was incredible. Maybe the best part of me week.

We also saw some weird stuff. We were walking down the sidewalk to an appointment and we saw a little kid next to his mom, hunched over pooping next to a tree. Hahah. It took me a while to realize what was going on. Afterwords I was half laughing half super confused/trying to figure out if what I had just seen had actually took place.

One last story for the week. We were walking by these kids playing soccer and they wanted Elder Guillen to do some tricks and so I was just standing and watching him and then this like 12 year old girl comes up to me and shows me her phone and asks, "Do you know who this is?" And she had just taken a picture of me on her phone! Haha it was super creepy/a bit stalkerish but I guess they just can´t resist my non-brown eyes haha. Still though, weird.

Welp, that´s it.

Love, Elder Lounsbury

No comments:

Post a Comment